Rick helps people realize their potential by promoting active adventure encounters. He teaches
classes on the outdoors and is a regular guest speaker onboard cruise ships. His motto is "Carpe
Diem" which translates to Seize the Day. He has employed this philosophy as an author, adventure
He holds a BS in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Maryland, an MS in Systems
Management from the University of Southern California and an MBA in Marketing from Santa Clara
University. A Vietnam Era Veteran, he was a Captain in the United States Air Force. He served for
two years as an aircraft maintenance officer in the Strategic Air Command (in the US and Southeast
Asia) and four years as an Operations Director of classified satellite programs in the Space
Command. He received a Commendation Medal for his support of the longest low-flying satellite
program. His corporate career included marketing and program management positions at Ford
Aerospace, Intel and Sun Microsystems. He resides in San Jose. Rick is a member of the respected
National Speaker's Association.
Known as "Mr Half Dome, he is the author of One Best Hike: Yosemite's Half Dome and has done
this extremely strenuous hike 35 times. He has traveled to six continents in pursuit of his "bucket
list" - things he wants to do before he "kicks the bucket." His other experiences include:
- Hiking to the top of 14,495 ft Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the contiguous US.
- Hiking the four day Inca Trail route to Machu Picchu, Peru.
- Hiking the Great Wall of China.
- Rafting the Grand Canyon three times.
- Peddling the 500-mile Iowa cross-state bicycle tour twice.
- Driving a dog sled for four days in the shadow of Alaska's Mt. McKinley.
- Logging over 250 scuba dives e.g. Papua New Guinea, Galapagos, Palau & Truk Lagoon.
- Running the Avenue of the Giants Marathon.
- Field camping a 2-week Tanzania safari.
- Riding a motorcycle from California to Yellowstone
His zest for life has manifested itself into a desire to help others discover their passion – their Half
Dome. His anecdotal stories of his adventures add credibility to his message. As appropriate for each
audience, he draws on his personal and business experiences to make his presentations relevant to
a wide range of audiences.
Rick doesn't just talk the talk - he's walked the walk! And this shows in his presentations. Whether
he is showing people how to use hiking poles or helping them overcome personal obstacles to reach
a goal, his years of corporate public speaking experience ensures a polished presentation. He brings
a multimedia presentation to enhance his message while his humor and animation provide a fun
Clients describe Rick as:
"ENERGETIC" "ENTHUSIASTIC" "MOTIVATING" "INSPIRING" "CONTAGIOUS”
Meet Rick Deutsch
Copyright 2013 Carpe Diem Experience, LLC